South Dakota School for the Deaf Scholarships - Archive
The South Dakota School for the Deaf Foundation awards scholarships to high school seniors who have received services from the South Dakota School for the Deaf and have provided service to their school and community.
2015-2016 Scholarship Recipients
- Miles Skillman was awarded the Sunrise-Sertoma Kevin Roth $1,500 scholarship from the South Dakota School for the Deaf Foundation. Miles plans to attend Southeast Technical Institute working towards his Associate Degree as a Early Childhood Specialist. Miles is a member of Teen/Tween Group in Action at South Dakota School for the Deaf. Miles volunteers at the Dale Animal Hospital, and mentors deaf elementary school students.
- Sydny Nash-Fenner was the recipient of the Minnehaha Sertoma Club $2000 scholarship awarded by the South Dakota School for the Deaf Foundation. Sydny will be attending Chadron State College and plans on majoring in Criminal Justice or Nursing. Sydny has been involved in volleyball, marching band, church camps, C.H.A.N.G.E, Young Life, Jackrabbits Nursing Camp and Noon Optimist speech.
2014-2015 Scholarship Recipients
- Hannah Higdon of Dupree was awarded the Minnehaha Sertoma Club $2,000 scholarship. Hannah attends Northern State University majoring in Business and minoring in Agricultural Resources. Hannah would like to use her business degree to bring integrity back to her community and Tribe. She wants to pursue a career that will make a positive impact in others' lives. In high school, Hannah was active in school, church, and community volunteering as advisor for the Dream Team Cheerleading Club, Drama Club President, National Honor Society Vice President, Student Council member, Church Youth Group President, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Hannah has a strong passion for supporting good causes. In 2012, she was one of two South Dakotans to receive the President's Volunteer Service Award. Hannah was the valedictorian of her class and had the title of Regent Scholar.
- Kristen Holmberg, of Gregory, was awarded the Kevin Roth $1500 scholarship. Kristen attends South Dakota State University pursuing a degree in nursing. In high school, Kristen participated in band, competitive cheer and dance, and sideline cheer. She was also involved in the online newspaper and Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America. She was an Honor Roll student and active in National Honor Society. Kristen volunteered many hours in her community.
- Carissa Brandt, of Pierre, was awarded a $1,500 South Dakota School for the Deaf Foundation scholarship. Carissa attends Presentation College with the goal to become a Medical Assistant. In high school, Carissa was involved in dance, basketball, softball, soccer, and Girl Scouts. Carissa was a manager for the Pierre volleyball and track teams. She also helped sandbag for her community during the flood of 2011. Carissa is a sincere and humble young lady who would render assistance to anyone in need.
- Mandy Kobernusz, of Spencer, was awarded a $1,000 South Dakota School for the Deaf Foundation scholarship. Mandy attends Southeast Technical Institute, pursuing a degree in accounting. In high school, Mandy was involved in volleyball, track, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes and was the statistician for girls' basketball. Mandy was involved in many community activities including the summer Care-a-Lot Daycare, Catholic Religion Education (CRE), and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (collected food for the food pantry, painted a house, and cleaned up her church grounds).
2013-2014 Scholarship Winners
Sunrise Sertoma - Kevin Roth Memorial and Minnehaha Sertoma Club Scholarship
- The Minnehaha Sertoma Club $2,000 scholarship was awarded to Brennan Witt of Custer. Brennan plans to attend North Dakota State University. Brennan has not decided on a major, but wants to pursue a career that will make a positive impact in others' lives. Brennan has participated in service trips to Denver, New Orleans, and Washington, D.C. He has been active in school, church, and community volunteering at the local food bank, Outlaw Ranch church camp, Custer Youth House, in addition to excelling in basketball, cross country, and track.
- The Kevin Roth $2,000 scholarship was awarded to Michael Janecek of Sioux Falls. Michael plans to attend Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C. Michael has aspirations of becoming a physical therapist to support both deaf and hearing athletes with the goal of combining the two cultures to become one. Michael has participated in football, wrestling, basketball, and softball. Michael volunteered at the Deaf Club in Sioux Falls and worked for Communication Services for the Deaf lawn and snow removal services.
SDSD Foundation Scholarships
- Jordan Thull, of Oldham, was awarded a $1,000 SDSD Foundation scholarship. Jordan plans to attend Lake Area Technical Institute in Watertown this fall majoring in Agri-Business. Jordan has been very active volunteering at various church and community events. Jordan's achievements include Honor Roll, class president, Top Math student two years in a row, Youth snowmobiler of the Year, and All State football Academic Recipient his senior year. Jordan was active in basketball and football, jazz, pep, and marching band, choir, National Honor Society, and FFA.
- Alyssa Bogue, of Beresford, was awarded a $1,000 SDSD Foundation scholarship. Alyssa plans to attend the University of South Dakota to pursue a double major in special education and elementary education. Alyssa knows from experience how a teacher can make a difference. Alyssa was involved in many school and community activities such as National Honor Society, FFA, Lincoln County Livestock 4-H Club and Junior Leaders. She volunteered at church, mentored elementary students, and delivered Meals on Wheels. Alyssa also participated in track, volleyball, concert and marching band, and choir.
- Kieran Crain, of Watertown, was awarded a $1,000 SDSD Foundation scholarship. Kieran plans to attend Lake Area Technical Institute in Watertown this fall majoring in Automotive Tech. Kieran made the Honor Roll every year of high school, achieved several awards in his Scout Troop including Eagle Scout, Historic Trails, and Board Sailing award. Kieran participated in concert and symphonic band and participated in Teens Against Tobacco & Alcohol. His community service activities include the Watertown Banquet, Zoo Crew Summers, Memorial Day Service Honor Guard, Karing Kapers, Troop Pancake Feed, and NRA Youth Day. Kieran was also active in his church CCD group and works for the Watertown Hy-Vee store.
- Madison Tinklenberg, of Tea, was awarded a $1,000 SDSD Foundation Scholarship. Madison plans to attend the University of Sioux Falls to pursue a career centered on psychology and sociology. Her goal is to help people be healthier mentally, resulting in better physical health. Madison participated in her church youth group, school play, and choir. She worked on the school yearbook, volunteered at the Humane Society/Second Chance, served Thanksgiving dinner at the Banquet, and assists with the children's ministry for preschoolers at church.
2012-2013 Scholarship Winners
- The Minnehaha Sertoma Club $2,000 scholarship was awarded to Kristin Inman of Pierre. Kristin plans to attend Creighton University majoring in biology or biochemistry and minoring in music. Kristin has been a Student Senate officer, band drum major, Future Business Leaders of America participant, and Lady Governor’s tennis squad member. Kristin plays six instruments, is a two-year All State Band member, and was twice selected as a member of the Augustana Honor Band.
- The Kevin Roth $2,000 scholarship was awarded to Jaden Kellogg of Miller who plans on attending Lake Area Technical Institute. Jaden plans to attend Lake Area Technical Institute working toward an associate's degree in Dental Assisting. Jaden aspires to become a dental hygienist. Jaden was active in band, choir, show choir, church, 4-H, basketball, volleyball, track, golf, and the school play.
- Cierra Hauf was awarded a $1,000 scholarship from the SDSD Foundation. Cierra plans to attend the University of South Dakota to pursue a four year dental hygienist degree. In high school, Cierra was a member of the choir and competitive cheer squad. She also supervised and assisted younger students with homework and activities at the local before and after care school program.
- Shelby Johnson was awarded a $1,000 scholarship from the SDSD Foundation. Shelby plans to attend South Dakota State University to pursue a four year degree in Graphic Design. Shelby also received awards for Honor Roll and National Honor Society. Her extracurricular activities included Book Club, cross country, track/field, Deaf Teens in Action, and Manga/Anime Club.
- Cody Martinz was awarded a $1,000 scholarship from the SDSD Foundation. Cody plans to attend Jamestown College to pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in Sports Management. In high school, he participated in basketball, lettered all four years, and was team captain senior year. Cody’s community activities include mission trips to Denver and New Orleans, youth group fundraisers, DARE program activities, and volunteering at youth basketball and volleyball events.
- Dustin Schmidt was awarded a $1,000 scholarship from the SDSD Foundation. Dustin will attend Northern State University majoring in mathematics and chemistry and minoring in Music. Dustin has been involved in Special Olympics, Spanish Club, Band and Choir. He is also a member of a community-based show choir company called We Found Sound and is active in his church youth group.
- Kale Smith was awarded a $1,000 scholarship from the SDSD Foundation. Kale plans to attend South Dakota State University majoring in Physical Education and minoring in coaching cross country, track/field, and baseball. Kale participated in cross country, achieving MVP in track/field his freshman year and a long distance running award his junior year. He also participated in wrestling, baseball, SADD, and FFA. Kale was active in his church youth group and attended a Youth Gathering in New Orleans last summer.
- Sierra Svatos of Lake Andes was the recipient of a $1,000 scholarship from the SDSD Foundation. Sierra will attend Northeast Community College studying veterinarian technology and nursing. Sierra’s goal is to be a full time rancher/farmer. She was very active in her school and community participating in volleyball, basketball, track/field, softball, All State chorus four years, FCCLA, National Honors Society, student council and church activities. Sierra also volunteered many hours assisting with community projects.
2011-2012 Scholarship Winners
- Caylor Benson--Minnehaha Sertoma Club scholarship
- Makenzie Hageman--Kevin Roth scholarship
- Natasha Grussing
- Curtis Keefe
- David Rykhus
The 2011-2012 awards were $1,000 for students attending two-year programs and $2,000 for students attending four-year programs.
For more information about SDSD Foundation scholarships, contact:
Reverend Matthew Nix, President